Piñata Supply Co sell pull string conversion kits . I really like them.
I have been asked if it’s possible to make a pull string piñata without a kit. Of course! It’s possible to make piñatas – regular or pull string – without professionals.
So here’s how to convert any piñata to a pull string piñata.
1) Cut as many pieces of ribbon of the same length as the number of participants minus one.
2) Cut a piece of ribbon that is about 1 inch longer than the rest of the ribbon.
3) Tie the longer ribbon to a washer. Try to use the entire extra inch that so that the ribbon will appear to be the same length as the rest of the ribbons.
TIP Many people will cut out a small cardboard washer instead of using a metal because it is lighter.
4) Remove the fringe from the bottom of your piñata. The bottom should be smooth.
5) Using a sharp knife, cut a 3-sided “trapdoor” flap measuring approximately 4″ by 4″ on the bottom of the piñata.
6) Make a small hole in the center of the flap.
7) Fill the piñata with candy and/or toys.
8) Thread the ribbon that is tied to the washer through the hole in the flap from the inside out. The ribbon attached to the washer will be the one that releases the filler!
TIP It may be glued or taped to Close the trapdoor and glue the ends of the rest of the ribbons to the bottom of the piñata
9) Cover the ends of the ribbon and the edges of the trap door with tissue paper, completely covering the bottom of the piñata.
10) You don’t want players to be able to see which ribbon goes through the trapdoor, so you will want to cover as much of the bare space as possible.
11) Be careful not to glue the trap door shut!
12) Let the glue dry.
TIP After the glue dries, try to open the trap door slightly to be sure that you did not glue it shut
HINT: It’s a little known fact that Piñata Supply Co will install the pull string kit for you. There is an installation fee – but then you don’t have to worry about anything.
Don’t forget that you may always get great Mexican-made piñatas at Piñata Supply Co
Next topic: Use Piñatas to Advertise